Friday, June 09, 2006

Infuriating!

I just spent and hour and a half running the files and settings transfer wizard on one of the computers in the lab I manage, only to have the machine crash on me near the end. So I'm starting all over again, and that means I will be leaving late! Ah well, at least I have lunch with a collegue and dinner and a film with a friend to look forward to.

UPDATE
It's 16:51, and I am still sitting in this lab waiting for files and settings transfer wizard to do its thing. I don't get paid enough to do this! I was only supposed to work from 09:00 to 11:00. Two hours have stretched to eight. And I had to skip lunch. Grumble grumble moan. At least it's money coming in, I guess. I am so looking forward to my holiday! this time next week, I'll be there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is from "someone seeking advice" - the one who sought help in the academic coach's blog.

Thanks for your comment there. I actually had reported the case to the deparment Chair before Mary McKinney posted my note on her blog. The Chair was supportive of me, and he told me that he would tell Dr X that he should never do this again. The Chair said he would not tell Dr X the sources of the informaiton. But since then, the Chair never came back to me to tell me if he had actually talked to Dr X, and if he did, how Dr X had reacted.

Anyway, thanks for your comment, and it's particularly important that you, as a student, empathize with me. The student blogger (the one who recreived the e-mail from Dr X) is an undergraduate student and he is not 1% as mature as you are.

I am also sorry that you were so much disturbed by what your professor had done. She should be ashamed of herself.

choirgirl said...

Thank you, anonymous. I am glad that you went to the chair, and I hope whatever action they took had the desired effect. Just keep in mind always that you were the bigger person here, and in the long run, you will have a much more positive effect on your students, simply because you behave in an adult manner. They need a good example, and you are it, whether they realize it or not. I hop you never have to deal with something like this again!