Monday, June 14, 2010

Soccer World Cup 2010

I think I mentioned a few posts back that I wrote an article on music and the promotion of the 2010 Soccer World Cup for an upcoming special issue of the journal Soccer and Society. The issue is currently in press.
I am not yet sure where I'll send it, but I really want to write a follow-up article after the tournament linking some of the initial speculations and forecasts with what eventually happened (is happening), and so this post is an opportunity for me to bring the relevant links together in one place. I'll update it as I go over the next month.

Blogs:
Africa is a Country. Always an excellent read, but especially relevant in this instance because Sean Jacobs, on of the bloggers here, is currently blogging from South Africa where he is attending several matches.
Football is coming home
Just Fila: Prophetic Dreams, False Fans, and Faith, Faith like Rugby Balls
Mhambi: Hier Kom Bafana
Soccer can induce labour?


Newspaper articles:
Historical:
General:
The Guardian: World Cup Opening Ceremony as it happened
Opinion:
About the Music:
The Guardian's Neil Spencer on the kick-off concert line-up
Mail and Guardian: Africa's Musical Boots
BBC News: Rapper K'Naan's Wavin' Flag in World Cup Triumph

On Vuvuzelas:
BBC Sport: World Cup Organizers will not ban Vuvuzelas
Football is coming home on the origins of the vuvuzela
Blatant on vuvuzelas at the confederations cup
The Guardian: BBC May Offer Vuvuzela-free Matches
Business Day: Vuvuzelas sell out at Sainsbury's
BBC.co.uk: BBC Receives 545 Vuvuzela Complaints
Vanity Fair: All Hail the Mighty Vuvuzela
Telegraph: Pope Must Not Be Subject to Vuvuzelas
The Onion: Vuvuzela Philharmonic Angered by Soccer Games Breaking Out During Concerts
The Observers: Sound of the Vuvuzela can be Music to the ears
Vuvuzelas in the concert hall
Vuvuzela concerto (the comments are more interesting than the post itself), and a Guardian article on the Vuvuzela Concerto
The Guardian: Play Vuvuzela Like a Pro (Samora was a few years behind me at Wits, and we sang together in the Wits choir)

On Shakira's "Waka Waka" song:
Video of Shakira performing Waka Waka at the kick-off concert

On the opening concert:
Rivmix: On South African music not in the Kick-off concert


World Cup Advertising:
Mhambi posted this very funny Pepsi advert: Moving the Goal Posts

General music:
Jack Parow's spoof World Cup anthem: Blaas Jou Vuvuzela
R. Kelly's performance of "Sign of a Victory" at the opening ceremony.
R. Kelly arrives in South Africa, talks briefly about his song
Shakira on the world cup for the 1Goal project.
Sean Jacobs at Africa is a Country on a potential unofficial world cup anthem, Make the Circle Bigger
2K10 IN SOUTH AFRICA. Haven't heard it yet, but can't wait to!

Soccer, gender and queer issues:
The Onion: Soccer announces it is gay

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for links to all the resources here!

choirgirl said...

My pleasure. Keep checking back. I'll keep updating.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the mention of Faith Like Rugby Balls :)

choirgirl said...

My pleasure, Fila. Thanks for a great blog post.

L M said...

Jack Parow and his gold-plated tongs! Just wandered over from Ravelry and felt the need to comment due to choir-geekery and so on. I've also taken rather a liking to the Radio Kalahari Orkes, but am frustrated by the fact I can't quite get a handle on what they're about - not speaking Afrikaans and only finding one sheet of lyrics (which I can just about decipher) doesn't help. Enough rambling - I'll take some time to read all the links in this post at some point!

choirgirl said...

I'm glad to encounter another Ravelry blogger, that girl n. Thanks for your comment. I have a bunch of links that I still need to post, but they are on hold until I finish this dissertation chapter. Any day now....