Friday, November 25, 2005

Morpheme Tales: BLOGFIRED: Bloggers and Employers Test Each Others' Boundaries

Morpheme Tales: BLOGFIRED: Bloggers and Employers Test Each Others' Boundaries The ins and outs of blogging are complex in many industries, it seems. This article was written by a journalist (I think) who was not given a job at a radio station because of his blog. It certainly makes for interesting reading, and I think a lot of the same points apply to academic bloggers. At the same time, though, the potential of blogging as a research tool complicates the issue for us in academia somewhat. I would like to think that openness about my work makes me more employable in an academic situation. But on the other hand, does a post like my last one do the opposite? I have considered pulling it, but left it up, because I really do want to know if others have had a similar experience, and I want others struggling with this issue to read it and know that they are not alone. Does it make me less employable? I guess time alone will tell.

UPDATE:
This article offers an interesting perspective on why people blog about work despite the pitfalls.

No comments: