Saturday, February 17, 2007

Good News All Round

Yippee, T and I just got proposals accepted for the MACSEM conference in Williamsburg, Virginia, at the end of March. Congratulations, T, and thank you for turning me on to this one. I wouldn't have even known about it if you hadn't made the suggestion, and followed up with me.

And on top of that bit of good news, I am delighted to report that the Union Square farmers' market is up and running again. It isn't quite full force yet, but I managed to get some gorgeous seasonal vegetables (I am just finishing the stir fry I made for dinner, with said wonderful seasonal veggies. Yum), fresh baked multi-grain bread of the sort you just can't get in the supermarket, and a delicious cup of hot perry (or pear cider). It is so wonderfully fragrant, and just right for this weather. Today was significantly warmer than the rest of the week has been, and beautifully sunny, and so despite the grey slush on the sidewalks, and the blocks of frozen, dirty snow that make the streets look like a war zone where the plows have been, it was a really great day to be out of doors.

4 comments:

T said...

Awesome about the farmers' market! What veg did you get? Mmm...pear cider...if you like apple cider and haven't yet tried it, try the various flavors of the Red Jacket Orchards cider. But you've probably encountered this already, as they often have a booth up at the Union Square market....

MACSEM is going to be fun!

choirgirl said...

Yeah, I can't wait for MACSEM. I am so excited.

And I haven't tried Red Jacket Orchards cider yet. I will have to try them out next weekend. I've decided that a cup of cider on a Saturday is a good motivation to go to the gym, which is right there.

As for veg, I got three different colours of carrots, and four different colours of new potatoes, acorn squash and spagetti squash, turnips, parsnips, two types of endive and bok choi. I added some Trader Joes bean sprouts and mushrooms, and some Little India soy sauce to a bit of everything but the potatoes and squash for the stirfry. It all looked very pretty, in various shades of orange, yellow, purple and green. Your wonderful cooking posts have been inspiring me!

T said...

Mmmm! That sounds good! I have to make peace with turnips, but the rest of it is drool-worthy!

As for Red Jacket cider--I like the raspberry/apple juice best, but it's all good!

And sure, all I have time to do these days is eat, sleep, and read, so I might as well make the most of it--I know you know the drill! :-)

choirgirl said...

If overwork inspires you to these hights, then bring it on, I say!