Tuesday, October 23, 2007

This I had to blog

I just received an email from one of my students informing me that I missed the point of his recent paper when I was marking it, and requesting a meeting so that he can set me straight! Um, sorry buddy, but if you didn't make the point in the paper, there is a good chance I would have not gotten it. Of course, if you had made an appointment and met with me before the paper was due, as I suggested you should, you may not have been in this situation in the first place....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I read this. I work in an environment with a lot of younger people and this kind of attitude is very familiar. I hate to use sweeping statements but there seems to be a terminal failure to accept responsibility by this generation which drives me crazy sometimes.

choirgirl said...

Hi Andrew, thanks for your comment. Yes, it is kind of funny, but I think I have been really lucky with my students. One difficult one out of 24 isn't bad at all. Good luck with your work.

Anonymous said...

Ah, flashbacks of my office hours at Entitlement U. Good luck!

annA said...

Hilarious. And real. I don't suppose it was a particularly pleasant confrontation but I've personally always taken slightly derranged pleasure in students like that. Such confidence combined with such ignorance! I can't help but admire the guts it takes...